The 12th annual Indianapolis Adventure Race is a team event that combines road mountain biking, canoeing, trail running/hiking, orienteering/navigation, rope work and surprise mystery events. Teams consist of three: coed, all male and female. All team members must start and finish together, covering the entire course together. The actual distances, course layout and order of events will not be disclosed until race day.
Date & Location:
Saturday, September 10th, 2011. Race starting time: 9:00 am and location: Fort Harrison State Park on the Northeast side of Indianapolis!.
To register, you can use online registration or you can fill out the online registation form and then print out the entry form if not paying online, and mail or deliver to the listed address. Field will be limited to 55 teams. Early bird registration ends on May 31st. Early bird entry fees are discounted.
Early Bird: soon - May 31st $75 ($225 per team) (Must have payment to us via Google checkout or US Mail postmark by May 31st)
Normal: June 1st - August 7th $90 ($270 per team) (Must have payment to us via Google checkout or US Mail postmark by August 7th)
Late: August 8th - September 3rd $105 ($315 per team)
Registration closes September 3rd. Entered teams will be posted on this web site. If your team is not listed on the team list, you are not considered an entered team. Your team will not be considered officially entered until full payment is made. Team waivers can be signed at packet pickup or race morning. Your race packet will not be released until all team members have signed the waiver(s).
Packet pick-up will take place on Friday, September 9th from 4:30 to 8pm
. Location: Traders Point Noodles
location near West 86th Street and I465 on Indy's northwestside from 4:30 until 8pm. Team waivers can be signed at packet pickup or race morning. Your race packet will not
be released until all team members have signed the waiver(s).
This race course will include a combined 9plus-mile run/hike, 25plus-mile road mountain bike and a 5plus-mile paddle and possible portage. ( see race talk page for current estimates )
Ninety (90) minutes before the race start, the teams will receive their racecourse instruction sheets and begin the planning of their race. Additional information will be given at the pre-race meeting to be held sixty (60) minutes before the race start. Plan to arrive early to set-up your equipment and prepare your race strategy.
* Canoes are provided. PFD's and Paddles will NOT be provided. You must provide your own coast guard type III (or better) PFD and your own paddle. A limited number of PFD's and kayak paddles will be available for rental.
What is Orienteering?
Orienteering requires the team to follow a map and clue sheet to various checkpoints along the racecourse and bring back proof (in the form of a punch card or other means) that you were where the map wanted you to go. Teams and sometimes all participants will be orienteering throughout the entire race.
All teams are self-supported. Teams are required to provide all their necessary gear including food, fluids and fuel needed for their race. No outside assistance will be allowed during the race. The race staging area will have a transition area where teams can store whatever gear and equipment they think they may need. Several times during the race, the team can pass through the transition area to change and adjust gear as necessary.
coed, all male, all female. Three person teams only. Awards will be given to a minimum of the top three finishing teams in the co-ed division. Single gender division prizes will be prorated depending on the number of teams entered.
Some Basic Race Rules:
* Mountain bike stage will be on public roads open to vehicular traffic and all participants must abide by all Indiana state and local traffic laws as they pertain to bicyclists including coming to a complete stop at all intersections.
* Canoes are provided. PFD's and Paddles will NOT be provided. You must provide your own coast guard type III PFD and your own paddle. A limited number of PFD's and kayak paddles will be available for rental.
* Teams must wear life preservers (PFD's) during canoe stage and helmets during bike and any rope events
* Race will take place rain or shine.
* Additional rules and instructions will be listed on your race day course instructions and/or passport.. Failure to abide by the additional instructions can result in time penalties or disqualification from the race. In this regard, the judgment of the race directors are final.
If you want to have a great time helping support the newest and best team racing sport, please contact us at email@example.com (delete the “.no.spam”) for more information. Each volunteer will receive an official race T-shirt.
On race day, the Race Director(s) will monitor the weather and make a decision if any action will be taken to modify the race course. Possible scenarios include: change of race start time on the scheduled date, modification of the race format, or cancellation of the event. Wet, slick roadways, standing water and poor visibility due to heavy rains may require rerouting or shortening the course. Visible lightening will cause the race to be postponed for a minimum of 15 minutes. Additional sightings will continue to delay the race in 15 minute increments. Entry fee refunds will not be made available due to weather related event modifications or cancellation.
We try and be as understanding and as flexible as we can, but producing an adventure race for charity requires much effort on the part of Shackleton Adventure Racing, LLC and the many volunteers who assist in course design, property rental, shirt and award orders, field checking and setting up the race itself all of which must be paid for far in advance of the race.
We do offer reduced entry fees for early registration. This is our way of thanking you for making an early commitment to race. It helps us a great deal with our preparations. If you are unsure as to whether or not you will be able to follow through with your commitment, please do not sign up early just to get the reduced entry price.
...that being said, we understand that sometimes things happen which can force any of us to have to change our plans, and so we have established the following refund policy:
- If you let us know more than 31 days in advance of the event that you will be unable to attend, we will give you 100% credit to next years’ Indianapolis Adventure Race.
- If you cancel within 30 days - 14 days before the race, we can convert your entry fee to a direct charitable donation to one of our supported charities.
- If you cancel within 14 days or simply don't show up, (or show up too late to start) on the day of the event itself...sorry – no refund or donation.
- Your entry is completely transferable, right up to the start of the race, to any other racer. Team configurations are flexible as well, so don't let the loss of a teammate stop you - you can often hook up with another team right at the race itself.
We have designed the refund policy to be as fair as possible to both you and us. If an individual habitually abuses the system, we may, at the sole discretion of Shackleton Adventure Racing, LLC, refuse to credit all or part of any entry fees or otherwise alter this policy as we see fit and without any other notice on our part.
*** Information subject to change, please check website for race updates ***